1. Create, establish and consolidate policies pertaining to broadcasting.
2. Formulate and determine the future direction of the Department, and draw up strategic plan towards this end.
3. Conduct research in areas concerning, and related to Broadcasting.
4. Identify and execute studies and analysis on organisational capacity and capability and impinging factors in external environment.
5. Maintain and integrate studies and R&D readiness at all levels of the organisation.
6. Ensure organisational efficiency in carrying out its role and fuctions.
7. Sharpen the competitive edge of the organisational vis-a-vis external players.
8. Monitor and analyse developments in the broadcast industry both inside and outside Malaysia.
9. Create and manage a strategic control system.
10.Improve, consolidate and build up the strategic capability of the Department.
11.Monitor ratings and draft strategic plans to increase RTM ratings.
12.Spearhead branding of, and for the organisation.
13.Ensure creative elements in new programmes adhere to the policies and planning of the department.
14.Bring new ideas on board as creative content for programmes. Also draft and implement strategic action plan for publicity for radio and tv programmes.
15.Plan, implement and monitor all creative production of promos and publicity for Radio and TV programmes and campaigns for government departments and agencies via electronic, print and new media.